Everything about sustainable camping dishes and the most beautiful products for your next camping trip
Author: House of Eden
A camping trip brings many personal benefits: the tranquility of nature, attentiveness and experiences. It is precisely then that environmentally friendly aspects need to be taken into account when planning a trip. Of course, the means of transport plays a major role in terms of sustainability, but everyday things such as sustainable camping dishes can also make the trip even more environmentally friendly. Here you will find an overview of the different materials for sustainable camping dishes and our absolute favorite brands.
Environmentally friendly travel with camping dishes
When going camping, it is important to be mindful of certain actions that can harm the environment. This also includes the wrong camping equipment, which often wastes resources and energy and pollutes the environment. This is mainly due to the use of disposable products plastic. Numerous outdoor tableware sets now offer alternatives made from sustainable materials that are reusable and often recyclable. Good alternatives are, for example, sustainable camping dishes bamboo, metal, bioplastic or enamel.
Camping crockery sustainable - Which material is suitable?
Here is an overview of the different materials for camping dishes and what you should do without.
- Enamel: This material is very popular for reusable camping dishes thanks to its rust-free surface sealing, high hygiene factor and easy cleaning. Products made of enamel are made of iron and covered with a layer of silicate (glass). They are therefore as good as unbreakable and can be 100% recycled in scrap metal.
- Bioplastic: Bioplastic consists of renewable raw materials such as corn, sugar cane and grain. Lactic acid is produced from the sugars of these plants, which is then fermented and distilled. The result is heat-resistant C-PLA. Such bioplastic products are suitable for everyday use, can be heated briefly and washed in the dishwasher.
- Metal: Metals, such as stainless steel, are often used for camping trips because they are not only strong but also practical. In addition, stainless steel has a long corrosion resistance and is therefore rust-free. Dishes made of stainless steel can also score with high temperature resistance and a long service life.
- Bamboo: Bamboo is an environmentally friendly and sustainable material made from renewable raw materials. Attention: This only applies to products that are made of 100% bamboo wood and not made of material mixtures. Thanks to the robust and dimensionally stable wood, bamboo tableware is also very durable and therefore recyclable. Due to the natural ingredients, bamboo has an antibacterial and germ-reducing effect.
- Melamine: Melamine plastic is made from urea. In animal tests have melamine products harmful and carcinogenic effects shown. In addition, they are not acid-resistant and should only be exposed to temperatures up to 70°C. Last but not least, the material is difficult to recycle. Therefore this material is not recommended.
With our top 6 brands, the next camping trip will be rounded off with environmentally friendly tableware. It doesn't always have to be the boring stainless steel plate. The products below offer a good selection of reusable and camping tableware that is sustainable and aesthetic.
Our recommendation: Top 6 brands for sustainable camping dishes
- Bioplastic Tableware
- Edible Tableware
- Coconut Tableware
- Linen Products
- Metal Tableware
1. Enamel Tableware from Riess
Sustainable enamel tableware offers a good solution for a camping trip. The cookware works on any heat source and there are many variations of enamelled cookware: pots, bowls, sieves, ladles, plates and much more. At the Austrian brand Riess you will find a large selection of sustainable enamel tableware for outdoor activities - climate-neutral and handmade.
Source & Copyright Riess
2. Sustainable camping cookingware made from bioplastics from Zuperzozial
Bioplastic products have many positive properties and do not contain any artificial additives such as BPA or melamine. In addition, bioplastic is compostable and recyclable due to its natural ingredients. The Dutch brand toopersocial offers sustainable tableware sets made of bioplastics in various shapes such as bowls, plates and mugs.
Source & Copyright Zuperzozial
3. Edible tableware by Kulero
A fancy gadget for the next camping trip is edible cutlery. This can easily be eaten after use: 100% zero waste. Particularly suitable as a dessert spoon or straw and available with different flavors such as cocoa, cinnamon or whole milk. These are stable for about 60 minutes with cold meals and about 30 minutes with warm meals. Attention: It is recommended to store the edible gadgets in a cool, dry and light-protected place, which may not be suitable for every camping trip. The spoons are available, for example, from spoon.
Source & Copyright Kulero
4. Pandoo Coconut Bowls
Another good alternative for sustainable camping dishes are bowls and bowls made of coconut. They are food safe and also tasteless. Despite the lightness of coconut tableware, the material is very robust. However, they are not heat-resistant and are therefore particularly suitable for snacks and cold meals. After prolonged use, polishing with coconut oil is also recommended to preserve the shine of the dishes. Coconut crockery is available from the sustainable German start-up pandoo.
Source & Copyright by Pandoo
5. Linen Storage by Vierböck
Linen baskets are a great way to store dry foods. With a drawstring, the linen product can be used as a bread basket or as a closed storage. Linen is breathable, moisture-regulating and antibacterial. This also inhibits the formation of mold in food. You can find sustainable linen products from Austria at, for example fourbuck.
Source & Copyright by Vierböck
6. Campz Metal Dishes
Metal tableware is particularly suitable for an adventurous camping trip. Metals such as stainless steel are very robust, food-safe and heat-resistant. Although camping dishes made of stainless steel do not exactly score in terms of lightness, they are ideal for when you are traveling in a motorhome. The mark CAMPZ offers, for example, camping dishes such as cutlery or pots in different variations.
Source & Copyright by Campz
Sustainable camping cookingware: The environmentally friendly alternative
The manufacture of all products uses energy and raw materials, so no material is perfect in terms of its carbon footprint. Nevertheless, reusable products are preferable due to their longevity. It is important to pay attention to the selection of manufacturers, because many brands now produce sustainably or even climate-neutrally.